So by now youâve surely heard from your Twitter feed (my handle is @alecjacobs, thank you, yes I do have a lot of followers, thank you) or your favorite American college newspaper, The GW Hatchetâ˘, that April 15thâs Spring Fling will feature none other than Childish Gambino, Donald Glover!
Now, itâs not Carly Rae Jepsen, but you should still be excited about this! Here are some reasons why:
1) Because these GW concert things (for as long as Iâve been here) always fucking suck! And this one will not. Okay, they donât always always fucking suck, but most of the time they do. Like Sean Kingston. Ha ha ha, remember that? When everyone hated him and threw glowsticks at him because he basically just barely participated in a Natasha Bedingfield song ONE TIME and he couldnât even do that right? And he cried and left? Or what about Girl Talk, when we could just as easily have played some sorority girlâs party playlist instead for a lot less money? There was also Mike Posner and âChiddy Bangâ one time. I didnât actually go, per se, but I like to think it went a little something like this: They just did that song âCooler Than Meâ 20 times and everyone went home. Thatâs probably what happened. (I admit Spoon was pretty good when they were here a few years ago.) Iâm pretty sure I told Ted Costigan I wanted Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or Squeeze this year, but whatever. I did all I could. Send complaints in writing to Ted Costigan. Donald Glover will be good though, because:
2) Heâs hysterical. His character, Troy Barnes, is certainly the best part of NBCâs âCommunity,â everyone-on-the-Internetâs favorite network comedy. In case you donât watch âCommunity,â heâs also written for âThe Daily Show,â which you guys definitely watch because youâre GW students and youâve learned in all your classes about, like, how influential Jon Stewart is and you like how heâs both funny and informative, right? If I know college students, and I think I do, you all love âThe Daily Showâ more than you love your own parents and almost as much as you love talking about yourselves. From 2006 to 2009, Glover was a writer on â30 Rock,â objectively the greatest television show in history. A television show that has given us such classic lines as âLemon, you look terrible, and I once watched you eat oysters while you had a coldâ or âGood God Lemon, those jeans make you look like a Mexican sports reporterâ or âLemon, lesbian Frankenstein wants her shoes back.â A television show that has on several occasions featured GWâs very own 2012 commencement speaker, Brian Williams, showing off his comedic chops. How could someone involved with these three fantastic shows possibly do any wrong? A: He could not.
3) His music is enjoyable, and I donât even like rap!
4) He got his rap name (Childish Gambino) from an online Wu-Tang Clan name generator. I mean, thatâs seriously maybe the most badass thing Iâve ever heard. I cannot think of a more awesome tidbit, except maybe that:
5) One time, he saw a couple having sex in a Bank of America after-hours ATM thing and live-tweeted it WITH PICTURES. I laughed for a lifetime. You can read the whole thing here.
Disclaimer: If he sucks, itâs totally not my fault. Now, enjoy this performance from Letterman: